How to increase website speed
Speed Up WordPress Blog
- Requests (how many)
- Load time (how many seconds)
- Page Size
Mostly, solutions and techniques I present to you, is for WordPress CMS users.
- Google Page Speed Online: https://developers.google.com/pagespeed
The good score is 80, and all of above.
YSlow is very good analyze web tool and after suggests ways to improve website performance based on a set of rules for high performance web pages. B+ is good score.
- GTmetrix http://gtmetrix.com
- Pingdom http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt Load time of your web page – Online tool
- Searchmetricks http://rapid.searchmetrics.com/en/seo-tools/site-analysis/website-speed-test,46.htm
- Web Page Analyzer http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze
- Keep your keep your WordPress installation up to date
- Keep your keep your WordPress plug-ins up to date
- Keep your keep your WordPress theme up to date
- Uninstall (deactivate) plugins you don’t use
- Install great wordpress plugin: WP Super Cache
- Remove any social media buttons that have active counts and you don’t need
Developers will often improve efficiency on installation, plugins and themes during the time.
The best plugin for WordPress blogs is definetely W3 Total Cache. This is the most famous wordpress plugin with the most downloads.
W3 Total Cache can help you to your website be 20% faster.
- Page Cache
- Database Cache
- Object Cache
- Browser Cache
- Content delivery network
- Leverage browser caching
## EXPIRES CACHING ##
ExpiresByType image/jpg “access 1 year”
ExpiresByType image/jpeg “access 1 year”
ExpiresByType image/gif “access 1 year”
ExpiresByType image/png “access 1 year”
ExpiresByType text/css “access 1 month”
ExpiresByType application/pdf “access 1 month”
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash “access 1 month”
ExpiresByType image/x-icon “access 1 year”
ExpiresDefault “access 2 days”
## EXPIRES CACHING ##
- Combine images into CSS sprites
Great solution for this problem is Sprite Me http://spriteme.org. It help combine and group images into a CSS sprite. This will reduce the number of image requests. It Combines your background images into a one single image.
- Enable compression
- Minify HTML
- Database plugin – WP-DBmanager is the best database plugin for WordPress. Be sure you have only one database or cache plugins installed.
- CDN – Content Delivery Network
A content delivery network (CDN) or content distribution network is a collection of web servers distributed across multiple locations to deliver content more efficiently to users. Some big world companies have their own CDN, but it highly recommend to use a CDN service provider: Amazon CloudFront, Akamai Technologies, EdgeCast, or level3. Content Delivery Network can increase website performance by up to 10x times. Here is soem CDN provider:
So there are many factors that contribute to site speed. I didn’t mention some of these: Reduce DNS Lookups, Avoid Redirects, Remove duplicate scripts, configure etags, make Ajax cache-able, post-loads and pre-loads, reduce the number of DOM elements components, split components across domains, minimize the number of iframes, no 404s, reduce cookie size, use cookie-free domains for components, … You can check websites for more: